Finding the Perfect Ecommerce Partners to Scale Your Brand to the Next Growth Level
By Scott Ginsberg, Head of Content, Metric Digital
The great quagmire for ecommerce founders, especially those without growth marketing experience, is finding the right partners.
Founders need to close that gap in knowledge and figure out where to put their money so they can create benchmarks and scale up.
But the tools and tech that will take your ecommerce brand to the next level must be appropriate for your growth trajectory. It’s critical to match marketing partners with where you are in your company lifestyle.
A helpful solution to this quagmire is to consider your company within the following four stages of growth:
- Scaling Up
And then, to choose vendors accordingly. From enterprise class partners to simple solutions, here are the partners we recommend to our clients every day:
[[ STAGE ONE -- LAUNCH ]]
First things first. Which ecommerce platform will you use? There are different contexts in which certain options may make the most sense:
- Easiest out of the box platform to get set up and running
- Doesn’t require technically savvy
- Strong infrastructure to scale
- Powerful partnership integration
Magento or Demandware
- Perfect for enterprise brand that's replatforming or building a new site.
- Many historical systems and have high customization needs
- Requires strong in house dev team and enough capital to build and maintain
- Easier out of the box than Magento or Demandware
- Allows for mass customization
- Enables inventory across multiple stores and countries
- Unlimited API calls
[[ STAGE TWO -- LEGITIMACY ]]
Your next challenge is acquiring initial customers and finding product market fit. Several technologies and tools will be key:
- Makes revenue attribution easy
- Strong tracking capabilities
- Google and Facebook Pixel for building retargeting lists
- Segmentation power
- Works great out of the box without development cost
- Audience syncing capabilities, email pop ups, etc.
- Exit intent pop ups highly effective
- Abandoned cart emails
- Retargeting opportunities
- Hand curated content suggestions for social.
- Reliable content promotion opportunities for thought leadership
- Powerful review solicitation program
- Review sentiment analysis
- Helps for user generated content for ads
[[ STAGE THREE -- SCALING UP ]]
Now that you have earned product market fit, it’s time to scale your business up and start to monetize.
- Homegrown solution, pulls data from multiple sources
- Feed right from Google Analytics, Adwords, Facebook and Pinterest
- Enables you to design bespoke customer dashboard
- Reporting tools updated every fifteen minutes
- Automated flows to communicate with customers
- Email marketing to grow retention
Google Page Insights
- Sets baseline for site speed and other optimization
- Get competitive insight on your competitors
- Keyword analysis and comparison
- Seo site scanning and error identification
- Optimize the architecture of your brand narrative
- Hugely effective native ad platform
- If you’re a high growth company that has validated D2C success on FB/IG/Google
- Product price point is $75+
- Minimum monthly spend $5k+
[[ STAGE 4 -- MATURING ]]
Growth must now continue. As your efforts shift from customer acquisition to retention, you are in a position to maximize customer lifetime value. More tools:
Smile.io / Swell Rewards
- Retention and loyalty programs
- Harness the power of incentive marketing
- Product feed to sync up with your store’s products
- Sends information to Facebook and Google automatically
- Tracks in store purchases with Facebook
- Increases online to offline sales
- Builds data inventory for future marketing
Programmatic Ad Buying
- More sophisticated that relying on Facebook/Google
- Ideal for brands with +1m digital display budgets
- Automates media buying, placing and optimizing decisions
Remember, closing the gap in your ecommerce knowledge is all about finding the right partners.
Whether you're launching, gaining legitimacy, scaling up or naturing, these tools and technologies will help take your ecommerce brand to the next level of growth.
Get our tips straight to your inbox, and start driving revenue today.